Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mock sibling rivalry

My younger brother is in his first year at a college far northwest of where we grew up. GradSchool is closer to him than our family home. When I attended AlmaMater, also northwest of our home, it took me some time to adapt to the colder temperatures and increased snowfall. Before I began attending GradSchool, I was quite terrified of the winter months because it is further north.

On Tuesday this past week, I called my brother.

"Hey guess what?!" I began.

"What?" he asked. We hadn't spoken on the phone sometime, but we had exchanged some messages regarding Westley over the past few days. (Brother played the overprotective brother role when he'd messaged me on Facebook with: Who is this Westley kid? Do I need to have a talk with him ? He was teasing me of course, and I responded in kind.)

"We've got a snow day now! Aren't you jealous?!" I bragged, explaining how afternoon classes had been cancelled. I had found out just before I took my midterm in my morning class. We both laughed.

"Eh, we've still got classes today," he replied, "but it's OK. It's not too bad of a day." We continued to chat until I had to meet with my mentor before leaving campus.

He called me the next day while I was in class. His message: "We've got the whole day off today. I've had 5 extra hours of sleep. Hope you're enjoying your classes!" :-) Guess I deserved that.

No comments: