I haven't had much down time lately, hence the blogging hiatus.
Last week's conference was splendid! I saw some old friends from AlmaMater ... It was so cool to meet up with college friends at a professional event ~ It made me more aware that perhaps I am indeed getting closer to entering the Real World! We had lunch together one day and chatted every time we ran into each other.
I also saw many of my former contacts from the area where I grew up. For the first time, it didn't even occur to me to call them by "Mr./Mrs.;" instead, I simply addressed them by their first names. When I realized this, I was also surprised. I mean, it's only right that I call them by their given names; I have the same degree as they do and I would be teaching now too if I hadn't gone to grad school. Still, after knowing them as Mr./Mrs. for so many years, I was surprised that it didn't even occur to me to call address them as such now. Hmm.
I also ran into the teacher whose job I almost got last year. (I'm too lazy to link to entries, but short story is: She was retiring, and she was assisting in the interview/ candidate selection process. The principal told me the job was practically mine, based on my resume alone, and I was extremely torn between pursuing that job and going to grad school. I chose grad school so that I could continue to develop my skills and learn a bit more before I officially started my career as a teacher.)
Anyway, this teacher was more than pleased to see me. I admitted I simply hadn't been ready to take over a program like hers yet, and that grad school had been so good for me this year.
"Are you ready now?" She asked, weighing the question heavily. It was an important question.
I didn't hesitate to answer, "Yes. Yes, I am," because I knew that I really am so much more prepared now. Yes, there's still a great deal I don't know, and I'm aware that I'll still make mistakes like all first-year teachers, but I do know that I am ready to enter the teaching profession now.
Then this lady told me of potential openings she'd heard about, and she introduced me to her former boss. I thanked her for her guidance and mentorship, and she said, "It's all about networking, and I'm more than happy to help you!"
I ran into her later that afternoon, after I'd had an unofficial interview with her former supervisor. (I was so pleased that I'd brought extra copies of my resume with me!) I thanked the retired teacher again, and she reiterated that she was pleased to help me. She talked about how she'd been noticing a trend in the up and coming younger generation (which she classified as anyone under 30) of self-entitlement, in which people feel as though they just deserve whatever they want without having to put forth any effort.
"Anything worth earning requires hard work," she continued, and I nodded. I've had this type of conversation with others because I too view this and self-gratification before consideration of others as major issues in today's society.
"Your passion for this path is obvious," she told me, "and there need to be more passionate people in this career." She told me to contact her for the specific jobs she had mentioned earlier, and she asked me to keep her updated regarding my job search.
I was thrilled that I'd seen her and that she had been so willing to help me. The sessions at the conference were informative and inspiring too, and I was so grateful that I'd decided to go!
Saturday, March 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment