Yesterday morning, BestFriend dropped me off at the airport before she headed to work. On the drive, we excitedly chatted about all that we'd done this weekend and discussed ideas for our reunion- when she'll come to visit my hometown!
I arrived to my gate shortly after 9am, but my flight wasn't due to take off until noon.
Then the screen displayed that there would be a delay! Aack! My layover was supposed to be only 50 minutes, and my flight was supposedly going to be delayed for 35! Thankfully, the service staff at the airport were extremely helpful, and they found me alternative flights home from Layover City, in case I didn't make my own flight.
Our flight took off later than the 35 minutes predicted, but I dearly hoped that my connection would also be delayed. I did NOT want my travels that day to echo what had happened last week when I flew to BestFriend's area. (My original flight was late, causing me to miss my connection. I had to take a later flight to my destination. Sigh.)
Alas, history was destined to repeat itself. The cruelest part of the ordeal? As my original flight was scooting towards the gate where we would exit the plane, I saw my intended plane pulling slowly away from its gate. I was disappointed, but at the same time I was grateful. At least I knew that I hadn't made it, so I wouldn't waste precious time and energy RUNNING to that gate.
I calmly walked to the counter, explained my situation, received a boarding pass, and politely requested a meal voucher. Due to the airline's issues, I'd be spending 4 more hours at the airport. I figured it was my right to ask for a voucher, since it was dinnertime, and I hadn't received a meal on my first flight.
I was denied. Even though we had had electrical issues on my first flight (they had to turn the entire plane off while we were sitting on it!), it had been originally delayed due to weather in the city from where it had come. The electrical issues in my original city (causing the delay to be longer than 35 minutes) had not been entered in the computer. Apparently, the airlines have a policy that weather-related issues do not merit vouchers. I was less than pleased to learn this, but I politely thanked her (while trying to hold back my annoyance) for her assistance in getting me my boarding pass.
About 20 minutes prior to my boarding time, my father called me to notify me that my flight was significantly delayed according to information online. I checked the board which showed that the flight was still on time. The employee at the gate confirmed that my father was correct. (I was informed, "It hasn't even left Knoxville [its city of origin] yet.")
At the customer service desk, I was served by the same employee who had denied me a meal voucher. (Oh, it's you again," she said. Cringe.) I politely requested that I be placed on another flight to a different airport in my area which was still on time.
"Normally we don't do this due to the difference in fares. However, I'll make an exception in your case, because I'm sure you don't want to be here anymore."
There were FOUR people on my flight, not including the one flight attendant and (1-2?) pilots. I'll go pick up my bag from intended airport tomorrow. (I'd had to run to catch my new flight, and my bag went to the other airport on the delayed flight. Thankfully, that airport is the closest to where I live, and I can pick it up on my way to visit a friend tomorrow.)
~*~*~*~
More (happier!) details on girl weekend to come! :-)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment