Sunday, December 31, 2006

Stream of consciousness 2006 reflections

I didn't feel like looking up an end-of-the-year survey or re-reading older blog entries to help me remember all that happened this year. My year in review, by months (the easiest way for me to separate memories):

January/February/March: I broke up with FormerBoyfriend (FB) the week before Valentine's Day because we barely communicated and also because I was starting to fall again for the guy I'd liked in the Fall (RA) before I started dating FB. RA admitted to being interested in my younger sister, whom he'd met for a total of 20 minutes while she had stayed with me for a weekend in January. (Very strange indeed.) FB asked for a second chance and I relented. Up to this point, I only followed blogs of people I knew IRL~ friends of mine from both high school and college had been keeping blogs on another website for a few years. I began exploring other blogs around this time.

April: FB and I were in love. My first love. My choir toured and sang as the opera chorus for a production at MySchool. I found out that a paper I'd written the semester before had been accepted for publication in a major magazine in my field. Professors encouraged me to start thinking about pursuing a career in Higher Education.

May/June: Another school year ended. I substitute taught at home, accompanied a local youth choir, and taught private lessons through an internship I obtained. I went on camping trips with friends from MySchool ~ my first camping trips since I'd been in Girl scouts years ago. End of June/beginning of July~ youth choir toured abroad and I served as the Tour Accompanist. Amazing experience.

July: I turned 21 and celebrated with only my immediate family. I woke up at 5:30am nearly every weekday to walk on the beach with one of my few remaining friends from home. More of the fun summer jobs, related to my field. I saw my grandmother for the last time.

August: I returned to MySchool for RA training. My grandmother passed away. I prepared for student-teaching.

September/October: I student-taught at an elementary school. My cooperating teacher there was amazing ~ encouraging, kind, spiritually inspiring. I grew in both my teaching abilities and my faith. I also broke up with FormerBoyfriend.

November/December: I was anxious about student-teaching at the high school level. I wasn't sure how to be the Teacher to these kids. One of my professors gave me excellent advice: Don't try to make them like you. Do what you know how to do: Teach them. When they see that you know what you're doing, they'll respect you. After they respect you, they'll probably like you. It'll take time. Bonding doesn't usually occur until about the 6th or 7th week. I ended up falling in love with the kids, and at the end of my time with them, many of them shared how much they liked me and how much they were going to miss me. (Side note: I had told them that they could Facebook me after I was no longer their teacher ~ and about 25 of them have befriended me on that network now. I suppose it might be unprofessional of me, but I am longer their teacher ... and I'm going to be just a regular college student this upcoming semester.)

~*~*~*~

2007 will bring:
Italy over spring break with BestFriend
Graduation
BestFriend's wedding
My new teaching job (location & specific subject area unknown)
Harry Potter 5- the movie

... and so much more! I want to enjoy the remaining time I have at MySchool with my friends, I want to prepare myself for the job search, and I want to be ready for the next big adventure in my life ~ whatever and wherever that may be. Welcome 2007!

No comments: