Thursday, December 07, 2006

What day is today?

I asked BestFriend that question as she was leaving my building this evening. This entire week has been so chaotic that I couldn't even remember what day of the week it was! Student-teaching has kept me very busy! I still LOVE it- so much that I am dreading its ending!

The choirs I'm working with at the high school have given several performances in the community. Monday night was for a local volunteer organization and Tuesday was in a building in downtown CoolCity. Yesterday morning, we sang again, downtown, this time on live radio for a charity event! Our caroling was featured on the morning talk show from 6-7am! Last night the kids sang at a fundraising event.

Last night was the one performance of the high school's I did not attend because I already had other plans! I didn't go to a party, I didn't hang out with my college friends ... Instead, I kept my commitment from September: I attended the holiday chorus concert put on by the kids at my former student-teaching placement! :-) It was a joy to see and hear my elementary school kids singing, even if they'd somewhat forgotten the lovely tone quality I'd worked on with them. My former Cooperating Teacher acknowledged me at the concert and I received several hugs (and smiles and waves) from the kids. Afterwards, I spoke with CT for awhile because I hadn't seen her since I began my current student-teaching placement. We made plans to grab coffee or dessert after her concert next week!

This morning, I was on the radio! Yesterday, when we returned to the high school after singing for the radio station, we got the check from the office for the radio station's charity. So ... since they've been broadcasting from downtown CoolCity all this week and since downtown is somewhat on my commute to the high school, I volunteered to bring the check down to the broadcasting location.

This morning, they happened to be in a building I have often frequented in CoolCity. I came in the front door to drop off the check at around 6:15am this morning, and the DJs said,

"Oh! There's a familiar face!" They were on their commercial break.

"Let's get her a microphone!" So I stood there with the check in one hand, my car keys in my pocket (I'd parked illegally in front of the building with my flashers on), and with the microphone in my other hand. Before I knew it, they were introducing me.

DJs: "Here we have with us, Estrella, who's student-teaching with the choirs from x student-teaching placement school x who sang for us yesterday. Estrella, you've got a check there."

Me (brightly): "Yes, we forgot to bring it yesterday!" (I wasn't going to say on air that the school office had neglected to provide us with the check until after we returned from the gig.) :-)

DJs: "And what is the amount on the check?"

Me: "X dollars!"

DJs: "Oh wow! Will you make sure to thank your students for contributing to X charity?"

Me: "Oh, most definitely!"

DJs: (some other funny stuff, then:) "Thank you Estrella! We've got a free tote bag for you with our station's logo on it. (more stuff on how to contribute to the charity drive) Now, folks, she'll be looking for a teaching job after she's done with student-teaching, so you can call in to the radio station to offer her jobs!" (or something goofy along those lines)

Me: "Thanks!"

~*~*~*~ Back to commercials and regular holiday music ~*~*~*~

After my first radio interview, I put the check in the box as the DJs thanked me for stopping by. One of them asked what my QPA was (I said it was "good"), and he said, "Oh I bet it's out of the roof!" He recommended some local districts to apply to because "they're always looking for teachers" before he thanked me again. Then I left and proceeded to get lost (just for a few moments) as I continued on my morning commute.


~*~*~*~*~*~
After school, we had musical callbacks for the kids. So much stress and so many nerves! Tears from more than one person! I felt for all of the kids-- I genuinely wanted them all to do well, and I think some of their anxiety rubbed off on me. I left the school around 7:40pm and ended up in tears (for no particular reason) on my drive back to MySchool. I think my lack of sleep this week finally caught up to me. I called BestFriend and she ended up coming over while I changed into pajamas. We chatted and she brushed my hair. I now feel more relaxed ... and I know I better go to bed now because I've gotta get up in less than 7 hours! *sigh* I get to go home for less than 48 hours next weekend, and I'm looking forward to the "break." I use the "" because it will really be a "working break," but I'll enjoy the time with my family!

No comments: