Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tomorrow's CC-Day. Choir Concert Day! It's going to be a HUGE event- with guest professional instrumentalists, dancing, sign language, and, of course, lots of singing! I'm going to be conducting 5 pieces on the program! Two will be with brass accompaniment, one will be with percussion, one will be a capella, and the last will be with piano and solo violin. I'm grateful that my Cooperating Teacher has given me the opportunity to be this involved. I'm not really too nervous either (although I'm sure that will change tomorrow)!

I'm just trying to pace myself and think about the things that need to get done- one thing at a time. (Mental list: paint toenails, shave legs for the first time in 3 weeks, try on pantyhose to make sure there are no runs, try on concert attire with jewelry to make sure it works, practice conducting my pieces in front of the mirror, use teeth whitening strips tonight, make a list of all that needs to go with me to school tomorrow because I'll have to get ready there ... take vitamins and SLEEP!) Somewhere, in the midst of accomplishing all these things, I've got to go on building rounds as part of my being on RA duty this evening. I also need to spend time with my residents because a dozen of them will be studying abroad next semester. (Lucky girls! I wish I'd had that opportunity!) All will get done. God will take care of me, even if He doesn't decide to return my singing voice yet.
~*~*~*~

I received my article in the mail yesterday. One of the editors of the magazine had sent it to me with her revisions and questions. When I read it, I was disappointed. The editor told me that she'd worked on making its "scholarly" tone more "conversational," so that the readers would relate to it better. Much of the educational psychology and supporting data for my points were edited out. To me, some of its new "conversational" tone seems schmaltzy and condescending (i.e. "All of these great things I've seen are so helpful- you should try them too!"). Ah well. I'm lucky that it's going to be published ~ but I don't want to come across as some little know-it-all kid! I don't even have time to think about it now- it's due back in another week, and I've got to get things done in the order in which they come-- Concert first!!!

1 comment:

post-doc said...

I hope everything went well for you! It sounds like an amazing show was planned. :)