Friday, December 22, 2006

Concert & Goodbyes

Wednesday: CONCERT DAY. Class time was spent rehearsing repertoire and going through concert logistics- making sure kids knew the order of the program, knew what to do when, etc. For some of the groups (the MWF classes), this would be the last class session I'd see them. I told the male ensemble, the larger mixed group, and the female ensemble how much I had truly enjoyed working with them.

I thanked the freshmen boys in the male ensemble how they really made me laugh, and that I truly do like them very much, even if I've been more cross with them recently (because they continue to be goofy, silly freshmen boys when I'm trying to get them to seriously learn their music). They tried to look macho, but I could tell they were pleased.

While working with the larger mixed ensemble, Cooperating Teacher worked with me a few times on giving a strong cut-off for one of the songs. On the third try, I finally got it. The kids clapped for me.

I told the female choir how I'd been reviewing my student-teaching journal (which was mostly a compilation from my blog entries), and how I'd written from the beginning that I'd hoped that this group and I would have a special relationship.

"I was hoping we'd become close and bond as women as we create music together. We've had some really magical moments when we've worked on our pieces." I looked around and saw that all of the girls were paying close attention, and some of the girls nodded and smiled in agreement over the last statement. "Whether or not we are able to recreate that magic this evening at our concert, I want you to know that I have really enjoyed working with you. Thank you so much for working with me." The girls seemed very touched by this.

I was honest with all the groups ~ I have LOVED working with them. I CARE about them, and they've sensed that. Even if they know this by my actions, I still wanted to tell them because it's something people always need to hear. Students need to know that they are valued and loved.

I stayed after school to help with concert preparations. One of the students got pizza and I contributed a few dollars so I could have dinner! The kids were to report back to the school at 5pm before the 7pm concert. At this time, I was in the process of putting on my makeup and the kids laughed when they saw me doing this. (I didn't mind- I needed to look my best for the concert too, and I didn't have time to go back to MySchool to get ready.) Then, while Cooperating Teacher worked with one of the choirs, I curled my hair and changed into my concert dress. I was ready to go! I ran through my pieces with the choirs and guest instrumentalists and found a seat before the concert started.

My pieces with the choirs went well for the most part. I had drilled the freshmen boys on their piece in the last week, but they kinda froze up on the stage. The instrumentalist also make some mistakes which threw them off. We ended well, and I don't think the audience was aware of the problems. Women's Choir was lovely, and I had fun with the two mixed voice choirs!
After the final piece I conducted, two of the students presented me with flowers- from my parents! My family couldn't make the concert since I don't live nearby, so they sent up flowers! The girls and my cooperating teacher said really nice things about me! The kids applauded and I blew them all a kiss.

~*~*~*~

Thursday: Some of the kids gave me Christmas presents! I was so touched! I certainly wasn't expecting any! After school, I went back to MySchool to take a nap and to get my silly gift for the gift exchange for the party. Then I drove to one of the chorister's houses for the annual holiday choir party. My cooperating teacher arranged for a catered meal, and we ate, talked, listened to music (played by 3 of the kids who are in a band together), and played CatchPhrase!

While there, some of the kids asked me if they could friend me on Facebook. I gave them permission since I'm no longer their teacher. I also told them they could call me by my first name- they didn't have to call me "Miss *************" anymore- but most of them continued to do so anyway. :-) They all said goodbye and hugged me before they left.

They asked me to come back and visit them next semester. I'll be going back in January to conduct them at their community performance, but after that, I won't be returning until I see their Spring musical. I'd love to visit more than that, but one of my friends is going to be student-teaching there in the Spring. I respect her and I want her to have the best experience possible. For that reason, I cannot be a presence at their school. They can't be my kids anymore because they'll be hers.

I love these kids, and I'm going to miss them dearly.

No comments: