I didn't realize it was Christmas until it was nearly over. Normally, I get in the Christmas mood a few weeks before Christmas as I'm sending cards, giving gifts, listening to holiday tunes ... This year, I didn't have time to write cards and I didn't even get gifts for everyone on my list in time. I listened to the Christmas radio station on the way to and from student-teaching school and on the way home ... but ... the magic just wasn't there.
At church on Sunday night, my focus was regrettably not as much on the message as it was praying, "Dear God, please don't let me have a coughing fit in here." For the most part, I was safe ... until I had to accompany the youth choir. I ended up playing the right hand part of the accompaniment and attempting to use my left hand to stifle my coughs. (I've been lucky today - not a cough! Maybe I'm actually getting better as today marks the beginning of Week #3 of the nasty cold.)
The Christmas spirit nudged me when my siblings, parents and I had our family dinner on Christmas Eve. Then after Brother, Mom and I returned from church, we all changed into pajamas to open family gifts. From Cool Aunt & Uncle, I got a fleece and a nifty scarf. Sister gave me a silly mug which has my nickname on it. Mom & Dad gave me a "coupon" which promised me full payment for my airfare to Italy for Spring Break! (BestFriend and I already bought our tickets, but Mom & Dad are going to reimburse me.) :-)
Before sleeping, I was disappointed that I couldn't find my copy of The Polar Express, my all-time favorite holiday book (which is SO much better than the movie), but we siblings gathered in Sister's room while Dad read us The Night Before Christmas. Even though Sister and I are in college and Brother will be next year, we love the story!
I didn't see Christmas morning until 10am. (Woo-hoo! I was able to sleep past 8am!) Santa brought me some nice things~ candy (which I'll share with my residents at MySchool), gift certificates to Borders, and 2 CDs I'd requested. I spent the day in my pajamas, mostly spending time with Sister. We both fell asleep while watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, but we stayed awake for The Grinch and Little Women. It was a wonderful day to do nothing (and wonderful to spend time with Sister)!
Today ~ shopping with Mom and Sister in the morning before spending the afternoon with my "adopted grandmother." I'm feeling guilty because there are things I need to do (ugh, work on the paper which I'm supposed to send back Thursday!) ... and I haven't been productive this break. Maybe I'll feel better if I write a To-Do list and cross off things as I do them.
I have very few local friends left, very few solid relationships with people from high school. The friendships which have lasted fall right back into place whenever we get together, even if we don't keep in touch very well while we're apart . On that note, I'll be seeing TwinFriend, MusicBuddy and CityFriend (although not all plans are confirmed) over the next week! Sister and I will probably quietly celebrate New Year's together at home. Even though my break is considerably shorter this year, I'm hoping it continues to be filled with family & friends time, some laziness, and more sleep. :-)
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment