Thursday, August 07, 2008

It's a small world after all ...

When I was in fifth grade, I was the "junior bridesmaid" at my aunt's wedding. My younger sister was the flower girl, and my younger brother was the ring bearer. My mother was the matron of honor, and the other bridesmaids were my aunt's two best friends from junior high.

This morning, I got an email from my aunt, forwarded to her by one of her best friends. Her daughter (who would have been a new baby at the time of the wedding) received her school schedule in the mail ... and I am one of her teachers!

My parents were amused by the coincidence because they remember knowing my aunt's best friend when she was the same age as her daughter is now.

"You know, Estrella, that your aunt has been telling her friend about our family for years. She probably remembers when you were born. Your reputation will precede you at your new school. She'll know where you've gone to college, where you've traveled, etc. And she'll probably share this with the other parents too," my mother told me.

She continued to gush, "And we can sit with her and her husband at your concerts! Won't that be fun? And you know, she'll be telling your aunt everything that her daughter shares with her about you."

As my mother's excitement grew, I developed a slightly nervous feeling. No pressure now. Truth be told, I am excited ... and I was delighted to learn from my aunt that this future student LOVES to sing. :-)

No comments: