Where I'm living is so beautiful. I wish I could put into words just how serene I feel when I gaze out at my surroundings. I thought I'd miss CoolCity more - the hustle and bustle of going to a school in the middle of a city ... but I find that I'm calmer here. It's probably not just the nature (and the chance to actually see the stars every evening) ... I'm sure it's also due to the different people and environment at GradSchool.
The honesty and the truth I see in people here is incredibly meaningful. Perhaps it's due in part to my being a graduate student and not an undergrad anymore ... but I think it's really more because the people here are able to be more unguarded without fear of political retaliation or other B.S. like that. One of the women I work with is overwhelmed with work and family obligations. We talked for awhile yesterday morning ... and she was so much calmer afterwards. She apologized a little when she realized how much she'd been talking, and I'd noted to her that she seemed much calmer.
"Not a problem," I said, sincerely smiling. "I think venting every once in awhile is essential to maintaining one's sanity!"
One of my professors has told me twice that I have a calming effect. Apparently when she sees me, she subconsciously tells herself to be a little more gentle and a little less "out there." :-) She and I also talked a great deal today, and she ended up sharing part of her life story with me. She then invited me over to her house for dinner and to the show she was going to see that night. What a wonderful night. It's so refreshing and so ... emotionally fulfilling to be able to connect with genuine people.
Friday, September 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment