Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Busier, you mean hectic?" ...

... was my friend's subject line in the email he sent me in response to his inquiries about what I'm doing.

I don't even notice that I'm so busy ... except that I wish I had more time to practice- singing and conducting. Anyway, thought I'd share some fun highlights from this week since I simply forgot to blog:

*My cookies at the choir retreat- big hit!

*In my voice lesson on Tuesday, my teacher vocalized me down to a Db below Middle C all the way up to an F above High C! The Queen of the Night F! I've never sung that high before in my life. Granted, it was more of a siren, but she said something about my voice not even popping into that reallyreallyhigh register until the E, when apparently it's normally supposed to pop lower. That's supposedly an indication that there are many more notes hiding up there, waiting to be released. Now she thinks I'm a really high soprano. Interesting. I'm always so vocal regarding my alto pride, because I've thought for years that I'm a mezzo. If I actually end up being a soprano- that'd mess everything up! Soprano jokes wouldn't be so fun anymore ... but then maybe I could finally date a tenor (my teenage dream)! :-)

*Rehearsal with the large ensemble on Tuesday evening went SO well! Granted, there are certainly things that can be improved ... but ... I was so pleased with their progress! AND- I was complimented on my rehearsal structure/pedagogy by two former music teachers in the ensemble who both have background in the specific area of my career field that I studied this summer. Sweet! :-)

*I auditioned for and was invited to sing with a professional choir nearby. Sweet! Stipend probably won't cover gas money, but ... great and fun experience!

*I got the crazy idea to start a female chamber group here ... figuring I'd be lucky if I could find 2-3 girls per voice part. 21 girls are interested. Not so chamber anymore ... but ... how exciting! The problem now is trying to find a suitable time that fits into most peoples' schedules. Already, I feel bad because some of the girls who are most interested have schedules which are not really compatible with the times I can offer. :-(

*I'm gonna apply for a position as director of a local church choir. Again- salary probably won't fully cover gas- but it'd be a good experience, and it's definitely something I want to do. I mean, I've served so many other roles in music ministry- choral singer, choir/soloist accompanist, soloist- it's about time I added "choir director" to that list!

*When I visit CoolCity next month, I'm gonna visit my church and sing a few pieces there! Aack! Better start learning them. Oh, and I think CGFC is still there. Despite my insistence that I'm no longer interested, I can't help but continue to think of the qualities that attracted me to him in the first place ... and I suppose I still harbor some hope. Ugh. Why am I so dumb about this?! :-P

*Two (little) crushes here at school. One - I can't tell if he's "metro" or if he swings the other way. Anyway, he's funny, intelligent, and thoughtful, and I find his almost-nerd-but-somehow-cool quality attractive. Other crush seems sweet and shy. Whenever I'd pass him in the hallway, he'd smile shyly, blush slightly, and look away. Awww. And he's quite cute. Last night, a visiting music group held free tango lessons for students and community. Our prof let us out of class early because she wanted to go too ... and ... Boy#2 and I danced the last half together. Definite flirtation there. Problems with the crushes? Both are 2 years younger than I am. Not sure of ethics regarding GA-undergrad ... but ... crushes are fun ... and I'm not going to initiate anything. :-)

No comments: