Friday, December 18, 2009

1 week till Christmas, 9 days till my wedding

When my principal remarked to me at my colleague's concert last night that I seemed surprisingly calm, I told him that I think it's because the reality of everything going on hasn't dawned upon me yet.

I believe I'm surviving day by day.

Informational meetings for the school musical were last week. For last year's musical, we had a cast of about 40. We had 70 kids signed up to attend the informational meetings. 100 showed up. Wow. When we came into the hall for the first of the two meetings and had 50+ kids waiting for us, my friend, colleague (bridesmaid) and co-director (she's all of these) and I looked at each other in shock.

We taught the kids the audition song, gave them the audition dialogue, and talked a lot about our expectations (stressing the time commitment and our attendance policy). This past week, we spent 8 hours after school over the course of two days listening to about 70+ of those kids audition. We posted the Callbacks list yesterday. We'll spend at least another 4 hours after school next Tuesday listening to Callbacks.

My school concert was last week. Unlike last year, when I was obsessing over every little detail for my very first Winter Concert, I was more calm. I trusted that everything would work out, and it did. Although I still had a significant amount of stress (which was, regrettably, taken out a little on some of my more behaviorally-challenged classes), things went pretty well. My kids sang well (their voices are developing beautifully), and they're so much more my own this year. I was pleased. There were a few glitches, but nothing earth-shattering. (The power had gone out at our Spring concert, and none of the glitches came close to that.)

We met with the restaurant (reception venue) last week ... and most of those details are ironed out. Sadly, my wedding is the last event that the restaurant will host. Their income has been declining, and they are closing after 60+ years of service. They've assured us that they will go out with grace and elegance, and they are planning to make their final wedding reception (mine) as perfect as they possibly can.

I had my 2nd dress fitting yesterday. I stood there in my dress which finally fit (I'd bought it off of the sales rack in the store, as-is, and it was several sizes larger than I am) ... and I remember thinking to myself, Hmm. I'm really getting married in 10 days. This is my wedding dress. The next time I wear it, I'll be getting married. Hmmm. Obviously, it hasn't quite hit me that I'M REALLY GETTING MARRIED. I keep expecting to have this brilliant light go off above my head (ahhh ... mental clarity, realization) and hear some grand choral work in the distance, heralding my upcoming wedding. Although I excitedly tell people the number of days left when they ask, I'm not in the "I'm the BRIDE!" mode yet. (By that, I don't mean Bridezilla or anything ... but I totally just don't feel like THE BRIDE when I'm teaching my quirky adolescents.)

So ... Christmas is in a week. I have most of my gifts, but I may have to join the crazies and go shopping next week in all my spare time. We have school on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Kids will be bonkers. I will be bonkers. This is partially why I took a "mental health" day today ... to sleep in, to take care of errands, and ...

Westley graduates tomorrow. So I must drive several hours to his parents' home to drive a few more hours to GradSchool for his graduation. Oh, and it's supposed to snow in my area. Several inches. Between tonight and Sunday morning. So ... I may even be trapped at his parents' home on Sunday. It'd be sweet to not have school on Monday ... but that might make everything just that much more crazy.

Christmas in a week. Christmas Eve in 6 days. I'm playing only 1 service this year (thank goodness), and I'm hoping to enjoy time with my family in addition to last-minute wedding stuff, moving over more of my belongings into the new place, etc.

Trying to remember to breathe. And enjoy things as they are happening (as a friend reminded me to do via a Facebook wall post).

I thank God for everything because I wouldn't be able to do anything without Him. I'm hoping to keep that in mind as I begin the final stretch of madness before my marriage begins.

No comments: