Sunday, November 19, 2006

Scattered events from the past week

On Wednesday, the day of my first observation at Current Student-teaching Placement, I discovered that my page-a-day calendar had a special message waiting for me: Never underestimate your abilities. You are capable of things undreamed of. The perfectly timed, reassuring message was what I needed. I'd been on duty the night before and had gotten less than 5 hours of sleep. When I don't get enough sleep, my singing voice just isn't its best. Fortunately, God gave me my voice that day anyway. :-)

My supervising teacher observed TWO classes, and both classes did very well. The first class, the mixed choir, did a decent job of participating and focusing on the material we were covering. It was my first time working with the full ensemble for the entire class period - thank goodness it was only a half day, and the period was shortened by half! I was pleased with the progress we made, even though I didn't get to about half of my lesson plan.

The second class was the female choir. The material we were covering was really a review for many of the girls, and I was nervous that they'd be annoyed or bored (which inevitably leads to too much chattering). Instead, they were the most attentive they have ever been! We got a great deal accomplished and I was so proud of them!

Afterwards, Supervising Teacher and I spoke about what she'd seen. We discussed my strengths (yay!) and weaknesses (for which she gave me ideas on how to improve). Overall, it was a very positive experience and I left feeling relieved and content.
~*~*~*~

Most of the students from MySchool are home for the Thanskgiving break now. Because I have to teach Monday and Tuesday, I won't be leaving until early Wednesday morning. My building is eerily quiet and peaceful.
~*~*~*~

I spent time with Former Roommate last night. We went out for dinner before heading over to Current Student-Teaching Placement school to see the play. Many of my students were in the production and I'd wanted to show my support. We sat in the front row and thoroughly enjoyed the show!
~*~*~*~

Random update: Former Boyfriend (of the Awkwardness entry, 2 entries ago) called me before I went out with Former Roommate. He told me he and another friend were going out to dinner and he invited me to join them. This was the first time he had called me since before we broke up. I'm wondering if he's starting to realize his mistake of letting me go or if he was simply being friendly. Either way, it was pleasant to receive the invitation.

~*~*~
An update on the cute guy from church (TGFC): Last week, a lady who works at his [small, specialized] school told me that he's a very sweet and funny guy. Apparently all of the girls there, along with all of the women who have daughters his age, fawn all over him. While I was pleased to learn that he's not as stern and reserved as he appears, I definitely felt that there must be no chance for me if he has all these other girls falling all over him!

Then today- he smiled! More than once! I got to shake his hand during the Passing of the Peace, and he continued to smile. Maybe he's starting to feel more comfortable at our church now that he's been there a little longer. Also -- after church, we had a potluck luncheon (fantastically timed because no food places are open on campus). During the luncheon, the music director played show tunes and everyone sang along! TGFC showed his goofy side by dancing with a paper plate, pretending it was a top hat, and by singing along on some of the other songs. Fun times!

No comments: