A couple of years ago, I wrote a paper for one of my undergraduate courses. My professor suggested I consider getting it published, and I submitted it to the most highly regarded publication I could think of, figuring I'd start at the top and work my way down if it was rejected. To my surprise and delight, I received a letter a few months later stating that my article was accepted for publication. Sweet!
It was published about a year and a half ago, and it's brought me some notice. The coolest "Hey, I'm almost famous" moment came when I was told by my international colleagues that they'd found my article in an Eastern European country's library last summer.
And it continues.
Westley's sister-in-law is pursuing her Master's in our shared field at the moment, and one of her courses required her to review an article in a professional journal. In her presentation to the class, she paused for a moment, slightly confused.
"The author's name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure why."
At the next class meeting, she informed her colleagues, "I figured out why the author sounded familiar. The article I reviewed was written by my future sister-in-law."
(For the record: There is no ring, no formality attached to that connection, although some talking has been done on the subject ...) :-)
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment