Sunday, July 01, 2007

(small) epiphany

My birthday is in less than 2 weeks.

How did I not realize this until today? :-)

I'll still be traveling by myself on my birthday ... but I'm hoping I'll be able to make some friends on my trip (maybe through the hostels?) so that I won't be alone.

A great celebration is held on my birthday in France. When I learned about this as a little girl, it became my dream to be in France for the festivities someday.

In fact, right now, I'm sitting in my childhood bedroom. On the bulletin board next to my bed, a short essay I wrote in school on August 25, 1995 is still hanging up. (Why it's still there, and why I still have pictures from 1994 and high school and random key chains on there- I'm not sure.)

Anyway, the essay reads: Someday I'd like to travel to France. My biggest reason to want to go is because I want to see their July 14 (my birthday, their independence day) celebration. I also have always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower. (It looks so neat in photographs!) I've also thought the French language was pretty interesting. If I learned that language, I'd really love to go to France.

The year in school after I wrote this, I was given the opportunity to sign up for a language in my class schedule. I signed up for French.

Unfortunately, the school had a minimum course enrollment requirement of 15 students. A mere dozen students signed up, so the course was dropped. I have not had the opportunity to study it since that time. I loved the language I took ... but I hope that I will have the chance to learn French someday ~ partly because I'm terrible at singing repertoire in that language, and partly so that I can fulfill that childhood dream!

(I will be in France for part of my adventure ~ but only for my two layovers between home and my destination, neither of which takes place on my birthday!)

No comments: