Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A taste of real life...

I'm student-teaching this semester. At my university, we are required to teach at two different placements: one must be at the secondary level while the other must be at the primary level. One must be in an instrumental setting while the other must be in the vocal/general music setting. I personally believe that general music and secondary choral music are completely different beasts and should not be grouped together, but I suppose an instrumentalist came up with the requirements. :-)

I'm now in my 4th week at an elementary/middle school strings placement. Before I began this semester, my attitude was, I'm glad I've got strings first because then I can get it over with before I work in the area which is my passion: high school choir. Halfway through this placement now, my attitude has shifted: I'm already disappointed that time has flown by because I'm having an incredible experience. my cooperating teacher (CT) is extremely kind, nurturing, and encouraging. She is a strong Christian, and I look up to her-- as a teacher, as a believer, as a person. The other music teachers in our section of the building are also fantastic- funny, intelligent, and talented people. I've really enjoyed my time here so far, and I feel at ease here. This is the kind of environment in which I'd love to work someday. Twice a week, the music staff and one of the other teachers gather to pray before school. I've grown more confident as I've realized I really do know more than I thought I did. Students actually respond to me and they've improved in the short amount of time that I've been working with them. CT has gradually let me take on more and more responsibility during the small group lessons. I hadn't even realized how much more I was working with the students until I commented to CT yesterday, "Wow. I hardly took any notes during their lessons today." She responded, "That's because you've been teaching!"

While I would prefer to follow the choral/general route, I believe I could accept a beginnings strings position and have an effective and successful program. Perhaps it helps that my CT is responsible for two sections of chorus, of which I am now in charge. I've had so much fun working with the choristers and teaching them proper vocal technique. Their tone is lovely and their energy heightens my enthusiasm!

I'm still looking forward to my second placement, but I'm also feeling apprehensive about it. The program is well-established; the phenomenal director has been there for about 30 years. Because these kids have been trained exceedingly well, I'm a little nervous about stepping in and trying to teach them at their level. I know it can be a good thing to fall on one's face every once in a while, and while I don't expect that to happen to me, I'm hoping that I can be effective there. I want to contribute to the program's ever-improving status and not simply leave it as I found it.

I think part of the reason I'm anxious about this is because I've put a lot of weight on this upcoming experience. When people have asked me what level/area I want to teach, I've told them, "Oh, I'm hoping student-teaching will help me figure that out." I'm partly afraid that I'll discover I really don't want to teach at the secondary choral level (my dream job since age 14, which lately I've been questioning more and more). I trust God will lead me where He wants me to be, but I hope He lets me know soon where that is. (Location? Area? Age level? Future education? Etc, etc, etc?)

Laundry time. Adios!

1 comment:

The Contessa said...

Goodness - I enjoy reading your Blog. It brings back some precious memories of my undergrad days. all this student teaching - I did so much of it too.... its good they are still enforcing all venues for that - you never know where you will be placed.

My first job was a leave replacement and I taught Guitar. I don't know the guitar so that was an interesting experience. It's the one tech class I didn't take.

I love your relationship with God - it's very inspiring to me. I really enjoy reading.