So I've been student-teaching all week. CT wasn't here one day (sick day) so I spent the entire day teaching everything. It was really good for me, and I enjoyed it! I've been taking fewer and fewer notes as I've been teaching more and more. I've been able to joke around with the kids and even make some of them laugh with my silly antics! And -- more are remembering my name without prompting!
But I haven't been going to sleep at the time I should (10-11pm) for 4 of the past 5 days this week. So I thought I'd take a nap this evening while I'm on duty, as a Resident Assistant, from 4:30pm this afternoon to 4:30pm tomorrow afternoon. I didn't want to nap right after school because then I wouldn't be able to grab dinner. So I waited until after dinner. I laid down, set my alarm, turned on my electric blanket (because the building is not properly heated), and fell asleep.
Half an hour later, I get a call from one of the other RAs asking me to fill in for another staff member's duty. I grumpily said I'd be down. And I ended up sitting for only 15 minutes before the staff member on the next shift came to relieve me. I acknowledged that 15 minutes away from a 2.5 hour long nap wasn't too bad, so I laid back down when I returned to my room.
20 minutes later, my phone rang. A friend. Nice surprise, but another "oh well, there's another 10 minutes of precious sleep time lost." Back to sleep.
Thump thump. Thu-thumpa thump. The guys on the other side of our floor were blasting their bass again. GRRRR. We have mandatory 24-hour courtesy hours! Could they not be courteous and respect my NEED to SLEEP?! I've had to talk to them so many times about their noise level. When I went over (and admittedly was short with them), they said, "Oh, Estrella, we didn't know you were here." Hel-LO! When you're blasting your music so loud that I can feel the vibrations from the other side of the hall -- through my closed door -- there's something wrong. And if I'm not here? It's still NOT OK!
I know I need to document every time that I talk to them, but they're actually really nice guys who just don't "get it" when they're using their "outside football player voices" inside -- or that their music really is TOO LOUD.
After talking to them, I felt wide awake but still very tired. I would set my alarm for later -- but then I might not fall asleep later tonight. Oh, and did I mention that as an RA on duty, I've got to go on building rounds at 10pm, 12am, and 2am? The latter two times being past my bedtime! Thinks to self, At least I don't pay room & board, at least I don't pay room & board, at least I don't pay room & board. I am compensated well for this position ... and it is a privilege to be sure, but sometimes I don't feel that it's worth it!
Friday, September 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment