The decision to accept the new job was not an easy one. Overall, I was blessed in my previous position. I had applied for the new position to see if the grass was greener on the other side. I don't know the answer to that, but I decided to take a chance. In the Bible, Paul writes, "Make the most of every opportunity," and another favorite quote (I don't remember the source) is "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." After much prayer, the choice to accept the offer felt .... right.
I regret that I wasn't able to say goodbye in person to the people who touched my life and/or my heart while I served in my previous position. Several colleagues responded to the group message I wrote. I also sent a note to a kind volunteer to ask if I could pass along her contact information to whomever is hired. Grateful for the chance to thank and say goodbye to her, I also expected that the news of my departure would be shared within the community.
I just heard from another parent today, asking if the rumor that I am leaving is true ... and saying she hoped it wasn't. I felt guilty as I read her message and composed my response. I believe God has guided the steps of my life and that I'm doing what I'm meant to be doing, but I will miss that school and community ... even as my excitement grows over my new position. I want my former students to remember me but I want them to love and respect their new teacher so that the success of the program continues. I've said my goodbyes and I need to back out of the way so that whoever is coming in doesn't experience what I did.
As a new teacher, I had students telling me into January that they wished my predecessor were still there. I remember thinking DURING my first concert in December that I should just quit my job because things weren't going as well as I expected they should. Part of me is nervous that I'll experience those negative aspects of my first year again as I step into a new position. I know I will hit the ground running and that this year will be tough as I adjust to a new school, new community, new and different courses, etc. However, I've worked intensely with this age group before ... and I'm hoping it won't take me long to overcome the learning curve!

No comments:
Post a Comment