Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Loving Where I Live

Last Friday, the temperature was in the upper 60's. My eighth graders begged to go outside, and they worked incredibly hard during our rehearsal. So ... I took them outside for about 10 minutes. We sang our African folk song outside, and then I gave them a few free minutes before we had to return inside. (I had them leave their books in the classroom so we wouldn't have a repeat performance of the high-flying spectacular!)

As we were outside and I watched my darling adolescents chat and flirt, I thought (with some sadness) that while I love Spring weather, it was too bad we had only had one snow day this school year. Now, being the end of February and a balmy 60+ degrees, it was not likely we'd receive another snow day.

Friday ended well; Westley came down to visit (yay for his school's Spring Break!) and we had a fancy (read: accompanied by a glass of wine) dinner at the local Macaroni Grill. On Saturday, we took the Metro into the Taxation-Without-Representation city to visit the newly revamped Museum of American History. We saw the ruby slippers, the Lincoln exhibit, and the Star-Spangled Banner which inspired our national anthem. Fun times!

On Sunday, it began to snow lightly in the afternoon. The weather forecasters had predicted that our area would receive huge amounts of snow (huge for us) but I tend to ignore their predictions because 1) they're usually wrong and 2) I hate to have my hopes up for no reason. Fortunately for them (and us!), they were right this time! Instead of melting instantly, the snow stayed on the ground and quickly accumulated! In the early evening, I received a phone call from my school district informing me that there would be no school on Monday! We would have another snow day after all!!! Westley could stay an extra day!

Monday was wonderful! Westley and I helped my parents shovel their driveway for over two hours, and then we had time to relax. We had a hearty minestrone soup for lunch before Westley helped me grade several assignments. When we were released from grading jail, we looked online for apartment rentals near where I work- this is one thing I do not love about where I live ~ rentals are EXPENSIVE! Westley, who comes from a small town in another state, cannot understand how a cheap 1 bedroom apartment rents for nearly $900 a month in my area. (Entire houses in his town are rented for less than half of that amount.) Anyway, after comparing prices and properties, we cuddled up with a movie. A delightful snow day!

I was blessed with a two-hour delay yesterday (also quite wonderful), and the shortened day was a pleasant way to ease into the week. It will be a shortened week anyway ... but more on that in a future post! :)

No comments: