Nine years ago, as a high school freshman, I auditioned for and was selected to participate in a statewide junior high school chorus. For my audition, I had to sing a short folksong a cappella and a classical piece with recorded accompaniment, and I was expected to sightsing a melody and sightread a rhythm. The audition process was rigorous, but I passed- one of about 100 in the choir for which at least 1000 had auditioned.
The experience was incredible- staying overnight in a hotel, rehearsing with this massive choir for two straight days, learning challenging music (SATB, or four-part music that sometimes further divided into more parts), and enjoying the leadership of the very talented director. (He used to conduct choirs at a university in my state before accepting a new position at a school in the midwest which has an excellent general choral program.) I made some new friends from acorss the state- people who were as serious about their music-making as I was! How fun!
Fast-forward to present day: Two of my own students have been selected for this ensemble. In my desire to support them (and to start networking in my state), I have volunteered to chaperone at this event. This means that, beginning tonight, I will be spending 24/7 with adolescents. I will supervise them at meals, do bed-checks with other teachers, and sit in on their rehearsals. In return, I will share a room with another female teacher and receive free meals. (I suppose I'm still on the college mentality where anything is worth it if I am rewarded with free food!) It's funny (and hard to believe) that this has come full-circle. I'm so proud of my own students, and I'm so excited for them that they have this opportunity!
And now? Off to pack! As today is my part-time day, I can arrive later to school ... but I do have to complete my sub plans for tomorrow!
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment