Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Hope

The few times I've been abroad in the past two years, I've been asked by people from other nations, "What do YOU think of your president?"

My honest answer was always, "Well, I didn't vote for him." Then I'd sometimes go on to say that while I believe President Bush tried to make the decisions he thought were the best, he sorely missed the mark on many important issues. I don't think he's a terrible person, but I do believe he has been none the wiser when he has been misled by his advisors.

This answer seemed to appease my questioners, most of whom did not favor his leadership of my nation. Still ... I continued to feel slightly uncomfortable when this question arose- at youth hostels, tourist destinations, on trains, etc. As soon as people learned I was an American, they'd ask. I didn't want to be disloyal to my country and my president, but at the same time, I too was disheartened by the turn my country had taken.
---

I went to bed last night about an hour before the election was called ... and I turned on the computer as I heated up my tea for breakfast.

I do believe that both presidential candidates are good men ... but I'm beyond thrilled that my candidate has won the election!!!!! I've been reading Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope, and I am increasingly impressed and inspired by his honesty and values. The potential for our nation's future is great, and I pray that God will guide him as he leads this country.

I'm not anticipating any foreign travel any time soon, but I have an answer if I am asked again in the next four (or even eight, dare I hope?) years, "What do YOU think of your president?"

"I voted for him. His motto is, 'Yes, we can,' and I believe that he can rally the people of our nation to live out the cliche, to 'be the change we want to see in the world,' to be the change we need."

No comments: