Sunday, November 16, 2008

Day Six of Work

Everyone thinks teachers have it easy. Holidays, weekends, summers off. Right? Wrong.

I volunteered more than EIGHT hours of my time yesterday for a school-associated event which is related to my area of teaching. If any of my students make the cut, I'll be volunteering an ENTIRE WEEKEND in the Spring as a chaperone for teenyboppers.

Even though I ended up with a major headache that plagued me from yesterday afternoon until this morning (when I finally gave in and took Tylenol) ... even though it meant a full day at school ... I'm glad I did it. I can't say I fully enjoyed the experience, but there were parts of it that I did like.

At the event, I had the opportunity to interact/network with other music teachers in the area, including some from the area where I grew up. Some of them I've known for nearly 15 years through my involvement in the area music events.

"What's it like being on the teacher side of things? Do you like it?" I was asked by two of these.

"It's different, but ... I also don't remember so much of the student side of things anymore. Although ... it has only been 9 years since I last auditioned for this ensemble for which we are adjudicating auditions today!"

No comments: