Friday, October 17, 2008

Lost Lustre

I've never been a huge fan of shopping. Sometimes the mood will strike or necessity will demand a shopping trip ... but I think I'd rather read a book or relax than drive to a people-filled place, find a parking spot, make my way into a store, try to find whatever I'm looking for, wait in line to buy my product(s), and then drive home. If I lived five minutes from a major shopping center, it might be different. As it is, I must drive at least 35 minutes to get to a mall.

Then I met "Tar-zhay" ... I don't really call it that, but that is how it was introduced to me many moons ago in a far away state.

I love this store ... the clothing choices have perked up quite a bit now that 1) they have some more classy designs and 2) they actually make some clothing in my (petite) size. And ... they have pretty houseware items ... and school/office supplies (with which I've been obsessed ever since I was a child ... is it normal to love legal pads and binders and paper clips?) ... and seasonal items ... and books ... and basically anything a person could want! Except ... their music choices are somewhat limited ... but I suppose that most non-music stores don't stock up on the non-popular classical music artists.

I have not been to a "T-Z" ("T-G"?) for a few months ... possibly since before the school year began. (Horrors!) Imagine my delight when I learned a new one would be opening not that far from where I work!!! Hooray!

Today we had an inservice day, and my content area sessions (fabulous) were not held at my school. However, the new T-Z was still virtually on my way home ... so I decided that I ought to stop by the super brand-new (as in, officially opened within the past week) location of my beloved store.

And now, my T-Z experience has been tainted. In fact, any of my usual shopping spots in that area are probably tainted now- forever- through no fault of their own.

I saw a student. One of my students. While I was on my personal time in my own happy little world in my favorite store. I am not a normal person any more. I am now a teacher. There will constantly be little eyes that spot me if I make an appearance in the community near where I work. With nearly 300 students, the chances increase ... and they will only continue to increase after our Winter concert when parents and siblings may recognize me ... and as I teach more and more students over the years.

I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, especially as I'm planning to move closer to my job within the next year or so ... but still ... it was quite shocking to see one of my students (and thankfully, for the first student sighting, it was a nice student) when I was not in TeacherMode but rather in Estrella-Mode.

No comments: