"Estrella, we think you've gotten a notice for jury duty," they informed me.
"I don't understand how that could be," I replied. "I thought that was based on voting records, and I'm registered where I currently live, not at your address."
When Westley and I visited them for Easter yesterday, I was curious to see what was in store for me. Sure enough, the envelope contained a request for information so that I could be considered as a juror. It was addressed to me at my maiden name. I've now been married for well over a year, and my voting and driver's license information was changed more than a year ago too. Today, I called the voting records office near where my parents live; their records reflect the changes I had made, and the woman with whom I spoke indicated that the jury system may have found my name from an older list.
Because the information request simply directed me to make any changes to my name or address, I suppose it doesn't matter that their information is incorrect. I dutifully filled out the information request online ... and I am supposed to be called anytime within a year starting this June. I wonder what would have happened if my parents had moved and the mail couldn't have reached me?
As long as the summons doesn't interfere with 1) the crunch time before any of my performances or 2) my summer vacation, I don't mind serving. If, however, it majorly disrupts my plans, I will not be a happy camper. Apparently, however, there may be a perk ... my dad thinks that jurors get paid $25 each day they're called for duty. This is less than I make in one hour as a piano accompanist, but ... I guess it's better than nothing. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

No comments:
Post a Comment